We have begun a new unit called Growing Expertise in Books. In this unit we will be looking closely at nonfiction text. This week, students learned that reading nonfiction is not all that different from reading fiction. We can use the same superpowers to help us when we are stuck. Students learned to look closely at the words and the pictures to learn as much as they can.
Don’t forget our Parent Reading Meeting on Feb 13 in the library. All are welcome to come!
How to help:
- Read a page or two to your child and see if they can continue to read the rest of the book.
- Prompt with does that make sense? Does that look right? Does that sound right?
- Practice sight words.
We are about to finish up our unit on writing for readers. We have been working on letter formation, using lowercase letters and uppercase letters where needed, punctuation, spacing, and writing many sounds.
Taught sight words: a, and, at, are, am,, an, by, be, come, can, do, down, go, got, he has, have, it, is, I, in, little, like, look, me, my, no, one, see, she, said, the, to, up, we, went, you, yes
How to help:
- You can practice naming all the letters in the alphabet, making the sounds, and writing the lowercase letter.
- Read and write sight words! I am sending home a complete list of K sight words. You can introduce words as you wish.
- Tap sounds in words like: fog, fit, cat, mat, nap, nip, etc.
We continue to work with 2 D shapes. Students were just introduced to 3D shapes today.
How to help:
- Count to 100
- Count backward from 30
- Count on or backward from a different number other than 1
- Write numbers 0-10
- Name numbers up to 20
We talked about Groundhog Day. Students learned some cool facts about groundhogs and made predictions. On Monday, we watched Phil’s forecast.
Students had a blast celebrating the 100th day of school! We had several 100 day activities throughout the day. We read 100 books collectively as a class, we wrote about “what we have heard” from teachers and parents 100 times, made 100 fruit loops into a necklace, make a snack containing 100 things, made pictures with 100 pattern blocks, weight 100 things using a balace scale and so much more.
We also learned a little about the Chinese New Year.
2/11- Cultural Arts- Skydome- all day in Gym
2/14 Valentine party - class only see attached class list
2/18 - 2/19- President’s Day recess- No School
2/28- Spirit Day
If yo make Valentine’s be sure to have one for Everyone!