Readers are working on being resourceful. They are learning strategies to help them tackle hard words and tricky parts in books. Students are working hard to make sure what they read makes sense, looks right, and sounds right before moving on.
How to help:
- Read a page or two to your child and see if they can continue to read the rest of the book.
- Prompt with does that make sense? Does that look right? Does that sound right?
- Practice sight words.
- Ask questions before, during and after reading.
Students have finished writing All-About books. We have moved on to a new kind of nonfiction writing. Students are now writing How-To books. They are thinking about the things they know how to do and writing directions so that others can follow their steps. You can help by practicing and talking about the things they know how to do. For example, make cereal, make hot cocoa, chocolate milk, brush teeth, get ready for bed, etc.
We have finished learning digraphs (2 letters that make 1 sound - ch, th, sh, wh, ck). Students will continue to listen and write digraphs correctly in their own writing.
Taught sight words: a, and, at, are, am,, an, by, be, come, can, do, down, go, got, he has, have, it, is, I, in, little, like, look, me, my, no, one, see, she, said, the, to, up, we, went, you, yes
How to help:
- You can practice naming all the letters in the alphabet, making the sounds, and writing the lowercase letter.
- Read and write sight words! I am sending home a complete list of K sight words. You can introduce words as you wish.
- Tap sounds in words like: fog, fit, cat, math, ship, chop etc.
We have begun a new math unit on Introduction to Fluency. It is a quick unit where students will learn how to write number sentences and practice +0, 0+, -0 facts. You can help by practicing these facts at home. Flash cards will come home to practice these facts.
How to help:
- Count to 100
- Count backward from 30
- Count on or backward from a different number other than 1
- Write numbers 0-10
- Name numbers up to 20
- Fluency - addition and subtraction facts
We have begun a new unit on Living Things. We will be learning about the needs of plants and animals. We will first look closely at plants. We have some fun experiments coming up!
4/10-Kindergarten tour of Burr with buddies from HES
4/15-4/19- Spring Recess
4/26- Family Folk Dance Night- 6:30-7:15 p.m.
4/30- Cultural Arts- Tanglewood Marionettes- 10:00 a.m.- whole school